Sunday, March 6, 2011

Around Town: The Good, The Bad, and The Crazy

It's pretty inevitable that anytime you go out, you're going to see people who look great, as well as people who look awful, and now that I actually have a platform on which to display the best of the best and the worst of the worst that I see while I'm out and about, I've been honing my cell-phone-picture-snapping skills. I can't very well get out my camera, now can I? Awkwardly positioning my phone for long enough to get a clear picture is hard enough, and try doing it inconspicuously! Almost impossible. But as I said, I'm working on it. Here's what I've managed to (hopefully without being spotted) capture in the last few days, for your viewing pleasure, and cautionary tales.

The Good
The dreaded Wal-Mart. Seriously some of the worst fashion out there happens at Wal-Mart. (Anyone ever seen the Feature Creature section of peopleofwalmart.com? Truly frightening stuff.) It's just a trip to Wal-Mart, right? Who cares? Wrong. Let's all take a page out of this cute mommy-on-the-go's fashion playbook. Well fitting dark wash jeans, comfortable yet stylish wedge shoes, and a great bag that's big enough to hold juice boxes or crayons or whatever mommies (mommys? mommy's?) carry without being overwhelming. The North Face jacket is certainly not my first choice for outerwear, but it was pouring down rain, and this one is a nice neutral brown, much more versatile than fuzzy pink or turquoise or whatever. That is how you dress for a trip to Wal-Mart. You go, girl! (Cute kid too.)

Then we have this boy. Granted, he was not at Wal-Mart; I actually forgot I had snapped this creeper cell phone picture about a week ago, to send to my favorite blog follower (who now has a blog of her own, Livin' Boho Chic, I'm so proud!), whose husband thinks my soulmate is a manly-man lumberjack. He's wrong, by the way; I'll take a boy dressed like this seven days a week and twice on Sunday. Dress pants, button down shirt, tie, and vest! I'm swooning all over again. (Ps, mystery boy, if you ever happen to see this...I'm available!)


The Bad
As painful as it is, this takes us back to Wal-Mart, which is unfortunately too often a world full of unflattering sweats, such as the ones this girl is sporting. Hugely oversized college sweatshirt, and pink sweatpants. I will admit, I wasn't in one of my better outfits on this particular day, but I wasn't in pink sweatpants either. In fact, I don't know if I have ever gone out in public in sweatpants. How hard is it to put on jeans? It's not. I understand making a quick grocery run in whatever you put on that day. But what made you put on sweatpants when you got dressed for the day? In that case, why bother even getting out of your pajamas? Showering? This look says "I don't care" almost as clearly. (I say almost because if there's one thing that trumps sweatpants in public, it's pajama pants in public. Yeah, those Care Bears pajamas I love so much? They don't leave the house. EVER.) This girl is just doing herself a disservice.

The Crazy

This is without a doubt, hands down, the wackiest, most outrageous hairstyle I've ever seen. Thank goodness he conveniently located himself near this pair of shoes I wanted to try on, facing away from me so I could easily snap his picture. I mean wow. A mohawk of that amplitude would have been impressive on its own, but all those spikes are braids! Possibly dreadlocks...I didn't get close enough to be certain. It's a good thing we were in DSW, my mothership, because if it weren't for all the pretty shoes, I probably wouldn't have been able to stop myself from openly gawking at this gravity-defying hairdo. I'm all for being unique and individuality, but this kind of crazy 'do is definitely a don't.

2 comments:

  1. Haha sis you total creeper! That last pic looks like you are hiding behind a row of shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG this might be my favorite post yet! And totally diggin the blue, braided, mohawk-thing... man, I seriously need a man like that in my life. And nice stalker skills ;)

    ReplyDelete