Tuesday, March 1, 2011

83rd Annual Academy Awards

Well, after the fashion train-wreck that was the Grammys, it's nice to see that Hollywood's galaxy of stars stepped up and dressed (for the most part) in a manner that was worthy of the red carpet. I have to admit, I didn't watch any of this awards show either, but the morning-after pictures were much more aesthetically pleasing than those of the Grammys, most of which I either did forget about, because there was just nothing memorable about them, or wish I could forget about. Anyway, without further ado, here is my best-dressed list of the Oscars.

Classic Glamour

You just can't go wrong with the classics; they're timeless for a reason. What's more classic and luxurious than black velvet? I love the one-shoulder gown that Maria Menounos wore Sunday night, simple and elegant. Also rocking the simple/elegant look was Sandra Bullock. Funny thing about this one is usually red dresses on the red carpet are kind of a pet peeve of mine, because most of the time I think they clash. But check out Sandra's darker red clutch; it's almost, if not exactly, the same color as the carpet. What a way to accessorize, matching the carpet itself! Sounds like something I would do.

Also rocking the old Hollywood vibe was Best Actress winner Natalie Portman, with her sideswept hairstyle. Her dress is gorgeous as well--love that color!--and her earrings are from Tiffany's...enough said. Last but not least is Camila Alves' voluminous black gown. Classic, but still modern and sexy. Nice to see Matthew McConaughey cleaned up as well in a classic tux.

Age Appropriate Sexy

Let's hear it for women dressing their age! Mary Hart's sequined gown dazzles for the red carpet (and hello, peep of red shoe!), but the slit on the leg is not too high, and the neckline is not too low. Who says dressing your age means dressing frumpy? No way! Celine Dion is also looking fabulous over 40 in this form fitting gown. And didn't she just have twins not that long ago? Looking good, new mommy! And Nancy O'Dell is one of my favorites of the night. Love the bright bold color and the long train on the dress, plus the updo that shows off her chandelier earrings  without competing. Gorgeous all around!

Sparkly

Always a necessity at an awards show...where else is it acceptable to wear so much glitter and sequins? Erin Andrews is one of my favorite celebs, and her silver sequined dress was one of my favorites of Sunday night. Hilary Swank's silver gown was both sequined and feathered (remind anyone of a certain cocktail dress I wanted to wear to my friend's rehearsal dinner...?), and totally worthy of the red carpet event. My top favorite of the night though was Amy Adams. The deep blue of her sequined gown was beautiful with her coloring, and I love that she accented it with emerald jewelry. Perfect!

Funky

I know, right? Not what you would expect me to praise for an awards show, but the thing I love about these three ladies' looks is just that. Believe me, I'm just as surprised as you that lavender lace evening wear and bright tangerine taffeta made it to my best-dressed list, but these all exemplify how to push fashion boundaries without looking like fashion overboard. Gwyneth Paltrow's sheath dress actually isn't that out there, but when I first looked at it, something about it reminded me of a space age evening gown. But the more I looked at it, the more I liked it. It just has a certain je ne sais quoi, and of course Gwyneth is gorgeous herself, so she just looks fabulous. Mila Kunis is the one with the lavender gown, but it's one of my favorites of the night as well. Who knew pastels worked for evening? Love the updo and simple jewels as well. And it's Jennifer Hudson showing off her trim new figure in this outrageous orange gown. The color is gorgeous with her coloring, and what a statement dress! I think Jen wins the honorary-Fabulous-of-the-night award, because it takes a real Fabulous to have the confidence for a look like this. You go, girl!

So, first of all, I would like to thank the Academy, for putting on this glamour-palooza that gives us all these gorgeous dresses to drool over. And second of all, I would like to thank all the celebrities who showed us that the Grammys were simply a misstep in awards season fashion, and that glamour is still alive in Hollywood. Keep up the good work, ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment