In deference to my impending beach trip (only one more week, woo-hoo!) and all the packing crises that plague me whenever I go out of town, I thought it would be appropriate to do a packing blog post. Of course, I am from the school of thought that condones over-packing, so it's possible (likely, even) that you could all go to the beach and not miss half of the things that I consider "essentials", but in any case, this is what I feel is necessary to stay fabulous on a trip to the beach.
for beach days...
Cute swimsuits, of course! I like to take one for each day I'll be at the beach, but even if you are a light packer, you need at least two so you can alternate days, giving you time to rinse and let dry in between. A cute cover-up is also a must for the beach. Believe it or not, I only own one of these, but I would support as many as you have room to pack! You also need a cute beach bag, big enough to carry your towel and anything else you are taking down onto the beach. I love mine; it's straw with leather straps and sequined lobsters! (Because isn't everything better with sequins?) Then there's the matter of more practical items: beach towels (or a chair, if you prefer), flip-flops (should be waterproof, so you don't have to take them off to rinse your feet coming out of the sand, and shouldn't be your favorite/most expensive pair, in case a mischievous crab makes off with them while you're tanning), sunglasses (a good way to incorporate some extra color, since you will probably be void of other accessories; I love my yellow pair!), and most importantly, sunscreen! This particular item falls into the "do as I say, not as I do" category, because I am famously inept at applying sunscreen, to myself and others, so I almost never bother. I do, however, always apply to my face; and as for the rest of me, when my old lady skin looks like worn saddle leather, you all have my permission to say "I told you so!"
for the day you spend at the outlet mall...
Because, let's face it, if you're fabulous, you will have at least one of these days. Don't deny it. Besides, it always seems to rain right in the middle of your trip, doesn't it? That's how mine always go, anyway. And on rainy days in touristy beach towns, the outlet mall is the place to be. Most importantly, you should have cute, comfortable flats, because those outlet malls are huge, and you'll be walking a lot. Secondly, I would wear a brightly colored tee. Not t-shirt. Tee. There is a difference. Tees fit like real shirts. T-shirts are for exercising. Old Navy makes my favorite ones (the name Perfect Tee really is appropriate!), and at the beach, the brighter the better as far as color goes. Plus, they're super comfortable for your day of shopping. And lastly, an appropriately length-ed pair of shorts. (Assuming it's warm enough. I hate to think of needing jeans at the beach, but it does happen, and I always take at least one pair.) Bermuda shorts are a good option for everyone...no, really, they are. It took me the longest time to find a pair that I liked, but they were so "in" a couple of years ago that I just kept trying pairs on even though I knew ("knew") they didn't look good on me, and eventually, I found some that I liked! Just keep trying. I'm also fond of the mid-thigh length shorts; still long enough to be appropriate, but a little more youthful than the bermuda shorts. And you might as well show off those gams, since you've probably been on a diet prior to your trip. (I know I have been!) Just make sure your shorts aren't so short as to be indecent.
for dinner out...
Here's where you get to break out all those cute cotton sundresses and the adorable flat sandals you haven't worn yet because you bought them in the dead of winter at 80% off. Because I don't know about you, but where I go to the beach, all those tourist beach-side restaurants are the place to see and be seen at the beach, so we want you looking your most fabulous, right? Don't let the word dress spook you; a cotton day dress in a fun color is as comfortable as your favorite sweats, and still plenty casual. I mean, really, at the end of the day, you are still at the beach, and who wants to look overdone at the beach? (Unless, of course, we're talking about tans...I can't wait to get some color back in my skin!) It's all about looking breezy and fresh, which makes the bright sundress a perfect option for nighttime. Make sure you also have a few cardigans that go with your dresses, since it does tend to get a little chilly at night on the ocean.
Well, now that we've got all that covered, I think it's time for me to pay a visit to my closet and decide what exactly I'm going to pack for my trip! Happy spring, everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment