This won't be a long post, but seeing as I've been on hiatus due to my beach trip (pictures to follow at a later date!), I thought I owed my blog just a little bit of love.
I was out running errands a couple of days ago, and swung by Target for a few groceries. And as I was walking in, an older couple was walking out. Not old like old, but I'd guess early into their retirement years. Early sixties, maybe. What is retirement age these days? Anyway, they looked like nice people. Badly dressed, but nice. The woman was in sweatpants and a t-shirt; standard frumpy grocery-shopping attire. (Wish it wasn't standard, but alas...) The man's outfit is the one that got me. Not even his whole outfit; I don't even remember what else he was wearing. Except this t-shirt. The words on this t-shirt were:
"This is my fishing shirt."
And it had a little lure on it somewhere, maybe a fishing pole, I was trying not to look too closely. It reminded me of the episode of What Not to Wear that came on Tuesday night, because this girl (a goth chick, don't even get me started on that "look") took one look at the shoes Stacy and Clinton had put with one mannequin outfit and asked if they "came with complimentary walking instructions". They weren't even that high of a heel, and if you are an adult woman, you should know how to walk in heels anyway (isn't it just instinct?!), but when I saw this man's t-shirt, it reminded me of that statement. What if clothing did come with instructions?
It probably wouldn't be on the actual item of clothing (although for most boys maybe it should...just on the inside, on the tag next to washing instructions or something), but interestingly enough, in this case it was. The wearing instructions for that item of clothing were in big black letters on the front of the shirt: "This is my fishing shirt." It's labeled. So he should have opened up his dresser drawer, seen that shirt, read the slogan, and said to himself, "Oh, I can't wear this grocery shopping, because THIS IS MY FISHING SHIRT. I'll wear this next weekend when I go FISHING." But he didn't. He put it on, and wore it to the grocery store, and I guess he thought he was being witty. Or he just likes that shirt, I don't know. If he was wearing a "This is my grocery-shopping shirt" shirt, I still wouldn't have approved, but at least I would have laughed. At least he would have been wearing it in the appropriate situation. They could have replaced the fishing pole and lure with a banana and a couple of eggs. But he didn't wear his grocery-shopping shirt; instead, he got himself blogged about.
So it just goes to show you, Formerly-Goth-Chick, just because an item of clothing comes with instructions doesn't mean they're actually getting read. Hope you're getting used to those heels. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment