For all the sound bytes I put into these blogs about the two weddings over the last few months, you'd think I would have blogged about the actual events. But as you can imagine, two weddings in as many weeks takes up a considerable amount of time and energy, and two days after the second one, I unexpectedly started my first big girl job (a fashion topic for another time; on my third day at work, my boss told me I didn't have to "dress up so much"), which as it turns out takes up even more time and energy than being a full-time bridesmaid.
In any case, here are the fashion highlights from the two weekends I spent marrying off two of my best friends.
May 28: Katie & Chase
This wedding was my getaway weekend in Georgia, the traditional church wedding in rural Dallas that doubled as a high school reunion.
1. The Rehearsal Dinner. If you'll recall, this was the aforementioned casual dinner that I already had an outfit picked out for: a cotton dress and ridiculous heels, and that's exactly what I wore:
The other girls had on heels too at dinner (Kelli, on the far left, gets mad props for walking around in a half-broken heel without breaking an ankle or the shoe), but being me, I'm the only one who kept mine on. Surprise, surprise. :)
2. Before & After Rehearsal Dinner. I don't have any pictures of this, but for decorating the reception hall prior to dinner and bowling with the wedding party afterwards, I had on my aforementioned yellow 5in inseam Old Navy shorts, a summery white shirt, and flat gold sandals. Cute and casual, and great for the hot Southern summer weather.
3. Saturday Morning Nails & Hair. Despite the fact that we didn't actually go get our hair done, I opted for the traditional button down shirt (the same blue plaid one I wore on the plane to Colorado) and more colored shorts, green ones this time. I love the colored shorts for summer.
4. THE WEDDING. Of course, this was both the most important part of the weekend, and the only part I didn't have to obsess over picking out an outfit for. However, Katie let us pick out our own shoes (her only criteria was that they be brown) and that was (unsurprisingly) quite an ordeal. Also not surprising: I had the highest heels in the wedding party, and the only shoes covered in glitter. Did you know anyone made brown glitter shoes? Leave it to me to find a pair.
I loved these bridesmaids' dresses: (Honestly, in three go-rounds, I haven't had one yet that stood up to the ugly bridesmaid dress stereotype.) flattering on everyone, and the color made my tan stand out. And of course, a nice complement to the beautiful bride. :)
5. The Afterparty. No, I don't mean the reception; obviously, I still had on my bridesmaid's dress for that. But with so many old friends in town, and the fact that "in town" was not the same as any of the places we all currently live, we couldn't not go out after the reception. So I broke out another pair of the 5in shorts (grey this time) and out we went.
I got my much needed weekend off after this (which, in true McKelvy fashion, I spent in Tallahassee rocking a variety of crimson and white ensembles as we cheered on the Alabama baseball team at Regionals), and then wedding #2 rolled around.
June 11: Whitney & Bryan
The formal evening wedding at a mansion out in Chelsea.
1. The Rehearsal Dinner. This, if you'll recall, was the event where I was going to wear something over-the-top. Darling Christy and I finally, after much discussion, came to an agreement on what we were each going to wear, so that neither of us would be more over-dressed than the other. I had another pair of outrageous glitter shoes to wear (please don't tell me it surprises you that I own two pairs; in fact, I own three) and a pink and gold cocktail dress I haven't worn yet to go with them. And then it started raining. Well, even if the rain had quit by the time the rehearsal rolled around (which it did), it was an outdoor wedding; there was no way I was going to christen my gold glitter pumps on a muddy lawn. So I was forced to go with my backup dress and more weather proof footwear. I almost wore my rain boots, but since it had stopped raining, I went with heels. Lesson learned: have a backup outfit ready before it's time to get dressed for the rehearsal.2. The Bachelorette Party. Once the rehearsal dinner was over, we girls glammed ourselves up with fake diamond rings, a boa for the bride, and glow in the dark straws for our drinks, and headed downtown. I could have dressed more appropriately (read: sluttier) than I did, but downtown Birmingham is something of a sketchy place, so I stuck with a fairly low-cut day dress, and the same heels I wore at the rehearsal. (Well, I thought I had a picture of all of us, but I can't find it. Maybe later.)
3. Saturday Morning Nails & Hair. Okay, so for this one we didn't actually get our nails done. We did, however, all go get our hair done, so the button-down shirt was crucial for this one. Don't have any pictures of me here either, but Christy is wearing my shirt. Close enough. :)
And just for fun, here's a picture of my hair once it was all done and pretty. And the pile of bobby pins that came out of it the next day. 30, by the way. Yes, I counted.
4. THE WEDDING. For this one, I didn't have to pick out my dress or my shoes, which, as you can imagine, saved me considerable headaches. These dresses were very grand, and very fitting for the formal ceremony.
Although, our goofy attitudes and the fun fedoras...not so formal. Always important to let out a little stress by being silly. :) Happy wedding season, everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment