1. Crossbody purses
I bought a red one back at Christmas, because it was on clearance and I knew some girls who had them, but I didn't think they really suited my style. But I could not have been more wrong. I take that red purse everywhere! Mostly to sporting events (roll tide, y'all), but also when I go out. Anywhere that I could take one of my huge Mary-Poppins-esque bags, but don't really need to. It's so convenient to just slip a few essentials (camera, phone, money, ID, chapstick, etc.) into it and throw it over my shoulder. And because the strap lays across my body, I don't have to constantly hike it back up onto my shoulder like I would with a regular purse. I actually use it so much that I just bought a second one in a neutral, this Nine West bag from DSW.
2. Old Navy's 5in inseam shorts
One word: amazing. They are the perfect length, not too short (Stacy & Clinton might disagree, but 90 degrees in the shade doesn't), but not long like bermuda shorts. And they come in so many colors! I'm officially obsessed. I now have the black pair, plus a yellow pair and a grey pair that aren't shown online. Check out all the colors here.
3. Country music
No, seriously. The world of country seems to be on a roll right now. While pop music is just getting tired (we'll discuss that in a bit), the country artists are rolling out plenty of great new stuff. Some favorites at the moment: Lady Antebellum's new one "Just a Kiss", Chris Young's "Tomorrow", and "Dirt Road Anthem" by Jason Aldean, which I'm already feeling may be my summer jam, something I'm still waiting for from the pop stations. You snooze, you lose...and get replaced by a country song.
4. Miranda Lambert's wedding bouquet
Speaking of country music...Miranda Lambert wed Blake Shelton a couple of weeks ago, and instead of carrying flowers down the aisle, the bride had a bouquet made out of costume jewelry and brooches given to her by friends and family at a bridal shower. I have absolutely no idea how you would go about making something like that. But it may be the neatest wedding idea I have ever seen, and as you can imagine, I have seen a lot. Sadly, there aren't any pictures of her actual bouquet online (though a picture of a similar bouquet can be found here), so you will have to settle for the pictures I snapped out of the Us Weekly article.
This seems so silly, and I know I've mentioned to you before my general lack of sunscreen use. But today, for probably the first time ever, I desperately wanted to be protected from the sun. You know what 90 degree weather for three hours at a ballpark (I swear the sun reflects off the bleachers and makes it feel hotter) is three days before a wedding? A recipe for disaster. Just think of the tan lines in the pictures...quelle horreur! Fortunately, my dad is very pale skinned and burns easily, so he always has the hardcore stuff on hand. Coppertone makes an aerosol spray in SPF 30, so it took all of about thirty seconds for my brother to douse me head to toe in sun protection, and it was so light I barely felt it. But it worked. And you know who's not gonna have awkward tan lines for Saturday? This girl! (Plus, it is healthier; protecting against skin cancer and all.)
Five Things I'm Totally Over
1. The Snooki Poof
I'm not sure what even made me think of this, but I suddenly realized that it has been quite a while since I pinned my hair back in that tiny bump at the front of my head. It's so goofy when you think about it in the abstract...a little poof of hair? But I have very thin and flat hair, so the volume was appealing. And it was trendy, at the time, which is what prompted me to try it in the first place. But Jersey Shore has more than run its course (those poor Italians who are dealing with them now!), and so has the hairstyle that Snooki made famous.
2. Ke$ha
The very epitome of the played out pop music mentioned earlier. Ke$ha's songs are catchy, they really are. And for a while, I liked each new song she came out with better than I liked the last. But come out with enough of those, and they all start to sound alike, and then who even cares? I actually like Ke$ha; I saw an interview with her on TV and it was shocking how down-to-earth she seemed, considering the content of her lyrics. But she's got to get some new stuff if she wants to stick around.
3. Katy Perry & the song "Forget You"
I like Katy Perry's songs too...at least the first twenty or so times that I hear them. Which only takes about a day and a half. I don't know what it is with her songs, but every time she comes out with a new single, radio stations play it to death, and I'm sick of it and changing the station when it comes on within a week. Last summer, I declared "California Gurls" the most over played song since "Livin' La Vida Loca". I think now, though, I have to give the title to "Forget You". I can't hardly get in my car without hearing it, sometimes more than once. Even Glee did it! (Not to mention two Katy Perry numbers. Plus they used "California Gurls" as the music for a Cheerios routine.) I can't get away from it! And while I suppose it isn't Katy or Cee Lo's fault that their songs are being so outrageously overplayed, it took me almost a decade before I could enjoy "Livin' La Vida Loca" again, when I so loved it at first. So to "California Gurls" and "Forget You"...I guess I'll see you in 2021!
4. Those Listerine whitening strips
The verdict is in: they suck. For starters, I'm not entirely convinced they're making my teeth any whiter. But they are such a pain. Earlier, when I was trying to put a strip on my lower teeth, it got stuck to the inside of my lip as soon as it touched it, and I had to scrape it off. Not so pleasant. I tried again about half an hour later, and accidentally overlapped part of the strip onto my gum. And they said not to do that, but I had no idea it would burn if it happened! Ow. I'm seriously tempted to go to Ulta right now and buy the Crest stuff and just throw these out. I've still got a couple of good whitening days left before the wedding; I think it's time for Listerine and I to cut our losses.
5. Platform shoes
Platform shoes, like most things, have their place in a wardrobe. But is it just me, or does it seem like that's all there is lately? Sometimes I don't want a five-inch heel with a one-inch platform. Sometimes (actually, most of the time) a four-inch stiletto does just fine. And yet it seems that nothing is flat on the ball of your foot anymore. I would never discount the platform entirely, but a girl needs options. And as much as I love my 100th pair of shoes, the classic black pumps I finally decided I couldn't go wrong with, they are a platform, and I feel with a skirt they're just a little much for work. Which makes them not quite the perfect classic black pump. Just as long as the March issue of Glamour I was reading at the gym yesterday is wrong about "flatforms" being back (see #2 on this archives page), I can let the rest of it slide.


No comments:
Post a Comment