When we got started, Christy pointed me to some blogs she had found online dedicated entirely to baby showers, the one I visited the most being an awesome site called bumpsmitten.com. They had so many cute themes and ideas...and Christy, I can tell you the truth now, this blog TERRIFIED me. :) How in the world was I ever going to give her a shower that could live up to these? Everything home-crafted and cutesy, unique and inventive themes not readily found in the party store (theme-in-a-bag, anyone?)...if I could even come up with the stuff in my head (and getting started, that seemed like a HUGE if), when was I going to find the time to do it? And execution of cutesy, home-crafted theme items is a whole other ball game than an image in my head. I won't lie to you, Christy--I had my doubts. People kept saying to me that I was SO crafty, and SO creative, and they were sure everything was going to turn out SO great. I'm glad someone had faith all along.
We had talked about a couple of potential themes, so that I knew whatever I picked she would like it, even if WHICH theme it would be was a surprise. Honestly, I don't even remember what else we talked about, because as soon as Christy said she thought elephants would be cute, I was sold. (It's football season, y'all. I think about it all summer in preparation. Scratch that, my brain never totally leaves football season mode. But in these last few months of withdrawal, I do get a little extra rabid anytime I see something crimson or houndstooth in a store. Anyway...) But somehow, it didn't sit right with me. I couldn't just call elephants a "theme" and throw shakers everywhere like a tailgate party. (But I do own pink shakers from gymnastics meets, and the party store has houndstooth napkins, so for a while that route was tempting.)
Finally, one day I was looking at bumpsmitten.com and came across a post for a shower where the theme was "B is for Baby" (here's the link if anyone's curious where the inspiration came from...or if you just want to see a cute baby shower) and it hit me. E could be for elephants. E could be for Eden. E could be for expecting. And thus, the theme was born.
The first thing I did was go to a Scrabble cheat website (which I never ever use for Words With Friends...) to look up words that started with E, and made a list of everything I thought I could incorporate into the shower. There are a lot of E foods, though they by and large didn't go with baby showers (enchiladas?), but the more generic Eating also starts with E. I wrote down a lot of things, but in the end narrowed it down to Eating, Embellish (for the headbands and onezies), Enjoy (favors), Encourage (advice for the mom-to-be), and the original E for Expecting, to cover the whole theme of the shower. Those five things got painted into signs to be hung in the appropriate area of my house.
You know, I legitimately thought I had taken individual pictures of all five signs until just now. Oh well. You get the idea.
The next, possibly most pressing, order of business was getting the invitations. I don't know if you know this, but invitations are shockingly expensive. And I hated to spend so much money on invitations I wasn't even that crazy about. Cue friend-who-majored-in-graphic-design-in-college. So thanks to Ryan (and the "upload your own file!" option on Vistaprint) I got the perfect invitations, cute AND theme-inspired!
I also thought I had an actual file of this on-hand, with the front and back. Clearly, I should have pre-planned for this blog a little better. Moving on.
By the time the invitations came in, I had purchased, used for a short time, and subsequently broken my paper punch (which, by the way, I can now tell you was the shape of a tiny elephant--here are the toothpicks that originally inspired the purchase of the paper punch, and still for sale, might I add; probably a good idea, since this idea clearly falls into the "don't try this at home" category), and since the punch did NOT magically repair itself as I had hoped after my last blog, I had a bit of a problem. Less confetti that I wanted and a lot of leftover paper. But whatever crafty gene everyone else thought I had kicked in, and I started making little square confettis out of the paper I had cut the tiny elephants out of, and all the printed paper that I'd been most excited to use but hadn't gotten around to before the punch broke.
What was I going to do with them? Honestly, when I started making them, I had no clue, I just knew they had to be good for something. Fortunately, as it happened, I could do a lot with these little squares. They ended up on the favor boxes I bought at the Dollar Tree (score!), suddenly transforming them into theme favor boxes...
...on the pink index cards we had people write their advice on...
...and, most noticeably, on the popsicle sticks that went into the cake pops that Whitney made for the party, hastily glued on about 30 seconds before we let people into the food area. Thank goodness that Elmer's is quick-dry stuff! And what was leftover after that, I just sprinkled down the middle of the food table with the basic confetti. (Which I thought I had a close-up picture of, but look closely at the food table and you can kind of almost see it if you know what you're looking at.)
After all that, everything else decoration wise was pretty easy. It did all come ready-made from the party store, but plain hot pink decor, no pre-made themes or loud "it's a girl!" banners. Just a healthy sprinkling of hot pink, and stuffed elephants from mine and my mom's personal collection. Christy asked me where I'd found so many elephants. Answer: "upstairs". Seriously, you should have known. ;) And the elephants are just sitting in/on layers of hot pink tulle--so easy!
All in all, everything turned out even better than I'd hoped (when WILL I learn to have a little faith in myself? Maybe I'll make a career out of party planning yet...), and I think everyone had a good time. Plus Christy & Eden made out like bandits in the present department! ;) And, if you're wondering, my outfit was a big hit, too. Can you really go wrong with neon pink heels for a girl baby shower? I think not.
So there you have it--Christy and Eden's "E is for Expecting" shower!













No comments:
Post a Comment